Happy new year! 2018 is off to an incredible start with my Georgia Bulldogs winning the Rose Bowl and heading to the National Championship!!! The game was high stress and at one point, I stopped breathing. Under the previous coach, we would have NEVER made it this far, so I am so proud of this team and coaching staff!!
I am so excited for another reason…we are going to start the year off with a project, the living room! This room has been so frustrating to figure out that I had to reach out to one of my favorite blogs for help, DIY Playbook. Boy, did they inspire! As I slowly started to execute the plan, my husband came back to me and said he really REALLY hates where the tv is hung. His reasoning is because there is a really bad glare coming from the windows behind it. Totally get it and I offered to hang curtains. Let’s just say that is still a battle because he truly hates curtains.
His suggestion to solve the problem is to move the tv. Of course, there is not a good spot in this room. The only location that would make sense is above the fireplace.
You guys, our fireplace is tall.
So, I played around with different ways to layout the room and it seems like the best thing to do is start from scratch. Here is what the room looks like right now (and my half-hearted attempt to clean it):
This is the view when walking in from the front door. To the right is the hallway leading to the bathroom and kitchen.
This room is somewhat long and narrow. Another obstacle that makes this room so difficult is the french doors. This room originally had a large window instead of doors, but the guy who flipped the house stuck some doors there instead and it makes laying this room out so much harder.
Eventually, we are going to remove our pantry in the kitchen and flip two of the three downstairs closets into a pantry. This means the door with the red bag hanging from it would become a solid wall.
That should give you an idea of what we are working with.
How we plan to tackle this project:
First, we are going to empty the room. My hope is to sell what I can (and use that money for this project) and we are going to start fresh. Once this room is completely empty, we have a laundry list of things to do BEFORE getting furniture in here.
- Repaint the ceilings. After we had our can lights installed, we never got around to repainting the blemishes out
- Repaint the walls. I am MADLY in love with the color of our house, so we are going to repaint it the same color. This time, we are going to use a sheen. For some reason, the flipper decided to paint the whole house with a flat paint and IT SUCKS! The color of the walls is Sherwin Williams Colonnade Gray at 50%.
- While we are at it, we are going to freshen up all of the trim with paint
- Once all the painting is done, we need to clean and refresh the floors. They were not really finished other than stained, so we need to add a top coat. We have tried Bona on the rest of the house, but the shine does not last long in traffic areas.
- Mount the tv over the fireplace. I am going to let my husband and stepdad take care of that!
- Furnish and decorate!
Basically, this is going to start as an EPIC spring cleaning!
Once all of that is done, here is how I envision our room to look with the new stuff:
We want to add a sectional for more seating and based on how this looks, I think the room could handle it.
I am still working on WHAT we are going to put in this room, but we have our couch narrowed down to three choices. All will be in the dark gray family (hello pets and toddler messes). As for everything else, I am still on the hunt.
One thing I am sort of scratching my head over is the rug. What we have right now is tired and needs to go. I want to find something with a little more pattern (for reasons stated above) and I am sort of itching for something bolder. What that looks like, I am not sure yet.
Hopefully, in the next week, I will have a design plan ready for you! But now, I have to go narrow down our three couches to one!